n.6. Enos WORTLEY, geb. 11/07/1916

n.6.  Enos, geb. 11/07/1916, Sheffield, Yorks, oorl. 01/07/2014, Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, Engeland x 20/12/1947, Preston, Lancashire, Engeland met Edith Minnie RIMMER, geb. 20/07/1921, Preston, Lancashire, Engeland.

 Enos was die seun van Enos Wortley en Edith Lindley.

I wouldn't have considered my Dad nervous and shy, although perhaps careful about who he had as friends.  He fought in WWII in Burma, India, Singapore and was in the special forces, he was probably one of the last remaining Chindits alive of that time.  Dad loved the jungle, and always wanted to revisit India and Burma, but never did.  He also wanted to sail down the Amazon.  He was short, around 5' 3" in his youth, and very fit.  He never was injured during the war, and he walked for many hundreds of miles, he did get dysentry and malaria but recovered, and he was rescued by the Americans at one time when he and another soldier were ill and got left behind.  The Americans fed them and got them back to health and then drove them on to join their platoon.  I think Dad and his mate were amazed to see what the Americans had as support in the jungle, because they had barely any rations, and must I think have had to scavenge at times.  Dad used to tell funny stories about the war, but would never talk about the serious stuff, death and so on.  He was a welder by trade, and eventually became a welding inspector, and he was always very proud of his work.  I know he loved and was proud of me, as is Mum.  I attach some photos of them from last 2013 when they both looked good.  Mum still does, and neither of them really looked their age. (Rita Simpson)




















On my mother's side, it's a bit more complicated.  My mother Edith Minnie Wortley (nee Rimmer) was born 20.7.1921, and her birth mother died at the same time, not before asking her sister Mary Catherine Halsall (nee Dainton) to bring up my mother.  She had a good life with Nan.  My mother's two older siblings Ruth and Sidney were brought up by their grandmother Dainton, and mum didn't know she had siblings until she was about to start work.  Unfortunately, as far as I've ever been told, Dad's mum didn't like my mum, I think actually she wouldn't have liked anyone he chose really, but there was no love lost between them, and Dad did eventually choose between them, hence the lesser contact I think. (Rita Simpson)

I know Dad loved his siblings.  We didn't see much of the rest of the family when I was a child, about 2-3 times a year, and his sibs and their spouses usually.  So I didn't have much connection with cousins.  We used to always see the sibs etc at Christmas, because we had a big Xmas party on Boxing Day, and they all came to that.  We used to have a great time, playing games etc, plus a big sit down dinner.  I remember those days with fondness.  I don't know why there was little contact between them really, except that all the other sibs liked to go to the pub and drink, and dad didn't do that.  I think he just got left out a bit perhaps because of that.  Also my nan on Mum's side disapproved of drinking etc., and so it wouldn't have gone down well there either, but I'm really only guessing. (Rita Simpson)

Enos is op 1 Julie 2014 op die ouderdom van 97 oorlede.  It was very sad to have such a small funeral, but that's what happens when you outlive everyone.  (Rita Simpson)

ENOS WORTLEY On Tuesday 1st July 2014, peacefully in White Ash Brook Nursing Home, Oswaldtwistle, Enos, aged 97 years. The dearly loved husband of Edith of Mill Hill, much loved Dad of Rita and Peter, loved father-in-law of Sandra, treasured grandad of Duncan and his partner Andy, Neil, Scott and his partner Danielle, Donna and her partner Alex. Grateful thanks go to all the staff and carers at Spring Bank Court, Royal Blackburn Hospital, Acorn House and White Ash Brook Nursing Home for all their care and concern. The funeral service will be held at St. Silas Parish Church, Blackburn on Wednesday 09 July at 1:30pm, followed by interment at Preston Cemetery at 3:00pm. 

ENOS WORTLEY 1st July 2014 In memory of Enos who died aged almost 98 years. Edith lost a loving husband of over 66 years, and the children and grandchildren a loving father and granddad. We miss you always and will always love you.